Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

Basic Scones


scones

Here are my basic scones for January's Daring Baker's challenge. I really enjoy scones, and make them fairly often (at least, in comparison to how often I consume other breads, which isn't that frequently). I find that quick breads don't hurt my stomach as much, for whatever reason. Also, I really like anything that tastes primarily of butter. Especially with butter on top.


scones
The pastry equivalent of mica.

I tend to make blob-scones, a shape keeps me from over-working the scones and so keeps them tender. Folding and cookie-cutting the scones was new for me. I really liked the way the layers came out. 

I skipped grating my butter. I've done that in the past and it's a nice technique, but I like using my fingers because of the level of control it adds. Instead, I cube my butter into little pieces, toss it into the flour, and then throw the whole bowl in the freezer for a few minutes until everything is really cold before I squish the butter into leaves. That's the same technique I use with pie shells.


scones
Then I tried putting Dulce de Leche on top, because a friend gave me a can for Christmas.
It wasn't very good.
Who'd have thought? Dulce de Leche is normally good on EVERYTHING.

Audax Artifex was our January 2012 Daring Bakers’ host. Aud worked tirelessly to master light and fluffy scones (a/k/a biscuits) to help us create delicious and perfect batches in our own kitchens!


No comments:

Post a Comment