Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Sans Rival

sans rival
Mmm, triangular slice of rectangular cake.

I didn't really find the Sans Rival to be aptly named. It tasted a lot like a big wafer cookie. The meringue was good, though I think that the mild flavour of the cashews got a bit lost. The icing was good, but too sweet. Together, it was pretty lack-lustre. Really, does a cake made almost entirely of icing sound good to you?
Icing is one of those things that is good because it is only available in moderation. The idea of crispy meringue sandwiched between layers of icing seems like a nice idea, but once said layers are indeed sandwiched they loose their crispy very quickly. So, I'd name this the Avec Rival.

I may not be the target audience for this dessert, mind you, since when I actually pause to think about it I realize that I don't really like icing. I will always turn down traditional cake in favour of cheesecake, lemon tarts, ice cream cake, flourless chocolate cake covered in ganache. . . really anything without ye olde icing. The only time I like icing is when it is licked off the spatula.

Shoulda made the Bibingka.

sans rival


sans rival
It all got eaten anyway.

Catherine of Munchie Musings was our November Daring Bakers’ host and she challenged us to make a traditional Filipino dessert – the delicious Sans Rival cake! And for those of us who wanted to try an additional Filipino dessert, Catherine also gave us a bonus recipe for Bibingka which comes from her friend Jun of Jun-blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment